Mrs. Hanson (K)
I am Mrs. Hanson and I am very excited to be your child's kindergarten teacher! I have a true passion for teaching kindergarten. I love to see the tremendous growth and discovery that occurs this year. It is my mission to build on your child's strengths while instilling a love for learning. My classroom is a nurturing environment in which your child will feel successful and proud!
Tips for reading books with your child at home:
Please give your child a brief book introduction before reading a new book.
- Read the title of the book. Have your child make predictions: “What do you think this book will be about?”
- Before you begin reading, do a “picture walk” through the book, and encourage your child to talk about what is happening in the pictures.
- Briefly glance through the pages and ask your child to point out the popcorn words that she/he notices.
- Introduce one or two unfamiliar but important new words that your child will encounter when reading the book. These should be common sight words such as was, went, this, he… words that you don’t think your child knows yet by sight. They should not be words that your child could figure out by looking at the picture, like “elephant”
- You are now ready to read the book together. Don’t jump right in if your child hesitates with a word. Give them a chance to try it on their own. It will be most helpful if you give your child prompts, like those listed below.
Reading prompts to give your child when he/she gets stuck on a word:
- Have your child reread the sentence and get his/her mouth ready for the first sound in the word.
- Ask your child to check the picture for a clue.
- Say, “What word would make sense there?”
- Ask, “Did that sound right?”
- Encourage your child to try and sound out the word if it is short.
Our Specials schedule is as follows (TBD):
- Monday- PE
- Tuesday- Music (chorus)
- Wednesday- Art
- Thursday- PE and Music
- Friday- Library and Mass (most Fridays).
Please be sure that your child has sneakers on physical education days. Thanks for all your support for our class and your child.